Tips for Growing Your Career This Year
The New Year is always a good time for personal reflection and a time when many of us look to our personal and professional goals, reflect and take stock. While many may think “New Year, New Career,” I believe you can get to new from where you are right now.
FLIK Hospitality Group is a great place to grow in your career. Our commitment to people and providing career growth is a priority. We encourage everyone within the company to explore opportunities for growth within the organization.
Here are some ideas in how you can develop and grow in your own career in 2019:
Own Your Career - Create your own career story and then set a plan to pursue it.
- Be an active participant in your own development. Following annual performance appraisals, take the feedback you received and create a robust personal development plan, full of opportunities to apply your new skills.
- Be open to new opportunities. Lateral moves can deepen your experience and also give you an opportunity to learn different approaches while introduce your own ideas.
- Talk to your manager about your career aspirations and collaborate to achieve your goals.
- Job Shadow someone who is in a role that you aspire to or take on a stretch assignment that will challenge you.
Be a Continuous Learner –Take advantage of learning opportunities.
- Attend trainings and networking events to increase your knowledge. At FLIK, we offer many classes to grow your leadership skills, culinary or other abilities. Take a moment to check out what’s available on our Learning Management System (LMS).
Seek Out a Mentor – A mentor relationship can develop you in new ways.
- Partner with your manager to find a mentor outside of your immediate network. The best mentors can help you fill gaps in your current skills set. Once you are in the mentor relationship, make sure you define your goals and cultivate the relationship.
- Consider mentoring someone else. It’s a great to pay it forward and develop yourself along the way.
Focus on Your Whole Self - Make sure you care for yourself.
- Are you balancing work and home in a healthy way, eating well, and maintain your fitness? Take advantage of resources.
Everyone is a Leader – You can lead from any seat, in any role.
- Be a leader among your team. Train others, take on a project, propose a new idea.
- Create the environment you want to be in. Be positive and inclusive, respectful to others, and value what makes us unique.
I’m proud to be part of an organization with such talented people that values each individual’s contribution. This year, FLIK was recognized by Glassdoor as a 2019 Employees’ Choice Best Place to Work – and it’s because our employees are committed to growing their career with FLIK and for that, I say “Thank you!” And thank you for making FLIK such a great place to work and grow in your career.
By Sharon Richner, Human Resources Director, FLIK Hospitality Group
At FLIK Hospitality Group we believe in great food, great service, and great people. Our wellness first approach ensures our food supports healthy and delicious choices, specially curated by our team of culinary experts and registered dietitians. At FLIK, we believe in seasonality in sourcing our ingredients and providing a customized approach to the culinary and hospitality needs of each client. Our dedication to providing quality hospitality service is unparalleled in the industry.
Have feedback or questions for our team? Email us at email@example.com.
Interested in working with us? Apply today!