Chickpea "Chorizo" Taco Filling
The options for traditional meat-based tacos are endless: barbacoa, lengua, carne asada, carnitas, tinga, al pastor, cochinita pibil, de birria... you get the point.
But no one should ever be feeling left out of Taco Tuesday (or any day you crave tacos). We've created a few plant-based recipes, perfect for your Meatless Mondays, vegan, vegetarians or flexitarian foodies, or for anyone interested in a twist on tacos.
Supplement your family's spread with our recipe for Chickpea "Chorizo" Taco Filling or go all in on a vegetarian taco night. These tacos are especially delicious topped with fresh veggies like shredded red cabbage, diced tomatoes and onion, sliced radish, and fresh cilantro.
Chickpea "Chorizo" Taco Filling
These tacos are especially delicious topped with fresh veggies like shredded red cabbage, diced tomatoes and onion, sliced radish, and fresh cilantro.
Serving size: 1/2 cup | Makes 4 servings
|15 ounces cooked chickpeas*|
|1/4 cup canned diced tomatoes|
|2-1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar|
|2-1/2 tsp paprika|
|1/2 tsp ground cumin|
|1/2 tsp dried oregano|
|1/8 tsp black pepper|
|1/8 tsp crushed red pepper|
|1/8 tsp ground cloves|
|1/4 tsp salt|
|2-1/2 tsp soy sauce|
|3/4 tsp canola oil|
|1/3 cup minced yellow onion|
|1/3 cup finely chopped mushrooms|
|2 tsp minced garlic|
|1/4 cup water|
- Place chickpeas, tomatoes, apple cider vinegar, paprika, cumin, oregano, black pepper, crushed red pepper, cloves, salt, and soy sauce in a bowl, toss to combine.
- Place mixture in food processor. Pulse 3-6 times, until well mixed and a few large chunks of chickpea remain.
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Add onions, mushrooms, and garlic. Cook until onions are translucent and fragrant, about 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in chickpea mixture and water. Occasionally stir to incorporate brown bits from the bottom of the pan back into the mixture. Cook for about 8-10 minutes, until it resembles crumbled chorizo.
*1 can of rinsed, low sodium chickpeas can be used in place of dry to save time.
Nutrition info per serving: 190 calories, 4g fat, 0g saturated fat, 360mg sodium, 31g carbs, 9g fiber, 6g sugar, 10g protein
Need more Taco Tuesday inspiration? Try these recipes!
- Turkey Taco Meat Stuffed Avocado, Pico de Gallo, Cheddar
- Chicken Stuffed Poblano Pepper "Tacos"
- Black Bean, Chipotle Cauliflower, Avocado Tacos
- Butternut Squash, Queso Dip
- Turkey Black Bean Chili
At FLIK Hospitality Group we believe in great food, great service, and great people. Our wellness first approach ensures our food supports healthy and delicious choices, specially curated by our team of culinary experts and registered dietitians. At FLIK, we believe in seasonality in sourcing our ingredients and providing a customized approach to the culinary and hospitality needs of each client. Our dedication to providing quality hospitality service is unparalleled in the industry.
Join our team and see the FLIK difference. Where a job isn’t merely a job but the start of a career where you can flourish. Check out our current openings here:
Have feedback or questions for our team? Email us at email@example.com.