Super Bowl Eats: Buffalo Chicken Blue Cheese Stuffed Avocados
Almost everyone loves Super Bowl Sunday. There are the lifelong die-hards -- this year, they'll hail from Philadelphia and Boston. There are those who simply love the game. Some are in it for the commercials -- the ones that make us laugh and the ones that bring on tears. But everyone -- EVERYONE -- looks forward to Super Bowl Sunday for the food.
What is it about finger foods that make us feel like we just can't get enough? As a dietitian, I have a few thoughts on that answer a few tips to help you leave the party feeling perfectly happy and satisfied.
- Use a plate. It's easy and convenient to reach for a chip and scoop up some dip or to pop a boneless wing in your mouth. But it's hard to keep track of how much you're eating if you can't visualize it all on one plate.
- Look for something substantial (and not fried) to place at the center of your plate. Ideas: A cup or small bowl of chili, a slider or two, or our Green Pea, Chickpea, Cauliflower "Meatballs" (recipe coming tomorrow). These Buffalo Chicken Blue Cheese Stuffed Avocados are absolutely perfect.
- If you're dipping, choose a healthier dip such as guacamole or salsa, or choose a healthier dipper, such as carrot or celery sticks. Or go healthier on both!
- Indulge a little. Choose one or two items that you just can live without and stick to just a few bites. Want that adult beverage? Go for light beer or top your liquor with something low in sugar like seltzer and lime.
- Offer to serve. Getting up and down, walking to and from the kitchen -- these are good opportunities to get a little extra physical activity as long as you're not tempted to nibble while you work.
Whether you’re throwing the party or just attending, prepare and share our Buffalo Chicken Blue Cheese Stuffed Avocados. They’ll help you with that second tip up there. Packed with 15 grams of protein, 7 grams of fiber, and 11 grams of unsaturated, healthy fats, these babies will fill you up and keep you energized and focused on the game. Because buffalo chicken anything and avocado anything are both so trendy right now, we guarantee your friends will dish out compliments right and left. And you’ll feel good about keeping an eye on everyone’s health.
Buffalo Chicken Blue Cheese Stuffed Avocados
Our Buffalo Chicken Blue Cheese Stuffed Avocados are packed with the healthy nutrients that are sure to satisfy and keep you energized and focused on the big game. Plus, they totally deliver on flavor and we guarantee your friends will dish out compliments right and left.
|10 ounces boneless, skinless, chicken breast|
|2 1/2 tablespoons Frank's Original Hot Sauce, divided|
|1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper|
Marinate chicken in 1 tablespoon hot sauce and black pepper for 30 minutes to four hours. When ready to cook, preheat oven to 400 degrees F and coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
Place chicken on prepared baking sheet and place in oven for 25-35 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and juices run clear. When chicken is cool enough to handle, cut into bite size pieces and toss with remaining hot sauce.
Lower oven to 350 degrees F. Cut avocados in half. Discard pits, but leave skin intact. If needed, slice the bottom on the avocado so it sits flat when stuffed. Divide the chicken evenly among the avocado halves then sprinkle each with 1 tablespoon blue cheese. Place avocados on the baking sheet and place in the oven until blue cheese is bubbly and melted, about 8 minutes. Best served immediately.
Nutrition facts per 1 avocado half: 225 calories, 15 g fat, 3.5 g saturated fat, 375 mg sodium, 45 mg cholesterol, 7 g carb, 5 g fiber, 0.5 g sugar, 17 g protein