Falafel Burgers, Poblano Relish
Move aside beef, turkey, and black bean burgers. We’re ready to throw some fresh new favorites on the grill (or grill pan)! Let’s start with this crispy-on-the-outside Falafel Burger. Seasoned with a big handful of cilantro, another handful of parsley, and a squeeze of lemon juice, topped with the bright green zing of poblanos, these Falafel Burgers scream summer.
Our recipe serves 10 and since Falafel Burgers are vegan and gluten free, it caters to a crowd. Bring these to your next barbecue or outdoor dinner. And don’t forget the sides. We suggest Chili Spiced Potato Wedges for a very American meal or Lebanese Tabbouleh if you want to keep it Mediterranean.
Falafel Burgers, Poblano Relish
Seasoned with a big handful of cilantro, another handful of parsley, and a squeeze of lemon juice, topped with the bright green zing of poblanos, these Falafel Burgers scream summer.
Serving size: 1 burger, Makes 6 servings
|FOR THE BURGER|
|9 ounces dry garbanzo beans|
|2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice|
|1/4 cup chopped red onion|
|2 cloves garlic, chopped|
|3/4 cup chopped chilantro|
|3/4 cup chopped parsley|
|1 tablespoon ground cumin|
|1/2 teaspoon salt|
|1/2 teaspoon baking powder|
|1 tablespoon tahini (sesame paste)|
|FOR THE RELISH|
|8 ounces whole poblano peppers|
|1/4 cup apple cider vinegar|
|1 tablespoon sugar|
|6 whole wheat hamburger buns6|
- Cover dry beans with water and allow them to soak overnight. Drain.
- Add half of the soaked beans to a food processor with lemon juice and process until smooth. Add remaining soaked beans to food processor with red onion, garlic, cilantro, parsley, cumin, chili powder, salt, baking powder, and tahini. Process entire mixture until coarsely ground but holds together.
- Portion burgers into 4 oz patties. Refrigerate or freeze patties until firm.
- Meanwhile, prepare the relish. Char poblano peppers over an open flame. Once charred, place peppers in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap, let sit for 15 minutes. Once cool, peel away skin, remove seeds, and finely dice.
- Combine peppers, apple cider vinegar, and sugar in a saute pan. Cook until vinegar is reduced, about 3 minutes. Chill relish in refrigerator.
- Finish the burgers: Heat a sauté pan over medium heat with canola oil. Sear burgers until crispy and golden brown on both sides. Serve each burger, in a whole wheat bun, with 2 tablespoons of relish.
Nutrition information per serving: 345 calories, 7.5 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 460 mg sodium, 57 g carbohydrates, 12 g sugar, 9.5 g fiber, 15 g protein
What We Were Talking About in 2018: Sip It or Skip It: A Guide to Healthier Hydration
At FLIK Hospitality Group we believe in great food, great service, and great people. Our wellness first approach ensures our food supports healthy and delicious choices, specially curated by our team of culinary experts and registered dietitians. At FLIK, we believe in seasonality in sourcing our ingredients and providing a customized approach to the culinary and hospitality needs of each client. Our dedication to providing quality hospitality service is unparalleled in the industry.
Have feedback or questions for our team? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interested in working with us? Apply today!