Cookie Swap: Liz's Italian Seven Layer Cookies (Rainbow Cookies)
Arguably the best cookie on every holiday assorted cookie platter is the rainbow cookie. These colorful delicious cookies are layered with almond-flavored cake, raspberry, apricot, and chocolate.
These cookies may take two days to make, but they're totally worth the effort. And with two days until Christmas Eve, they'll be ready just in time for a visit from old St. Nick!
Have you been following along with our virtual cookie swap? Which recipes are you baking this holiday season?
- Day 1: Cookie Swap: Sara's Caramel Heart Chocolate Cookies
- Day 2: Cookie Swap: Peyton's Pecan Caramels
- Day 3: Cookie Swap: Tracy's Puppy Paws
- Day 4: Cookie Swap: Keri's Snickerdoodle
- Day 5: Cookie Swap: Jenna's Maple Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Day 6: Cookie Swap: Granny's Mini Coconut Pies
- Day 7: Cookie Swap: Daniel's Biscotti Falcona Marittima
- Day 8: Cookie Swap: Michaela's Pistachio Cranberry Shortbread Cookies
- Day 9: Cookie Swap: Sandy's Gingersnaps
- Day 10: Cookie Swap: Danielle's Chocolate Saltine Bar
- Day 11: Cookie Swap: Nicole's Soft Baked Funfetti Sugar Cookies
- Day 12: Cookie Swap: John's Springerle Cookie
- Day 13: Cookie Swap: Emily's Pistachio Linzer Hearts
- Day 14: Cookie Swap: Kerry's Take a Hike Cookies
- Day 15: Cookie Swap: David's Cherry Pom Pom
Liz' Italian Seven Layer Cookies
7 layer cookies (aka Venetian Cookies, Rainbow Cookies) are a classic Italian Christmas cookie popular in Brooklyn and the Northeast. Oddly enough, we call them 7 layer cookies in our family, but our recipe only has 6 layers. We must have been too lazy to chocolate the bottom. They are made by combining layers of almondy (a new word!) colored sponge cake with preserves and dipping them in chocolate. These cookies are so yummy, and worth the 2 days they take to prep (sorry!). Theyare a real show stopper so bring them to your next event, or just share with neighbors!
Recipe By: Liz Caneperi
Baked By: Danielle Cushing
|1 8oz. can almond solo filling|
|1 c. margarine, softened|
|1 c. cugar|
|4 egg yolks|
|4 egg whites|
|2 c. all-purpose flour|
|20 drops red food coloring|
|12 drops green food coloring|
|1/4 c. seedless raspberry jam|
|1/4 c. apricot preserves|
|6 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips|
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Grease three 13x9x2” pans on the bottom only. Line with waxed paper and grease paper (this recipe is from like 1950 so perhaps you can use parchment paper)
- Put almond filling into a large bowl. Add margarine, sugar, and egg yolks. With the mixer on medium speed, beat until light and fluffy.
- Beat in flour with a wooden spoon until well blended.
- In a medium bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form when the beater is raised. Add whites to the almond mixture stirring until blended.
- Remove 1/3 of the batter – add red food coloring to it. Mix well, and spread into one 13x9x2 pan.
- Remove 1/3 of remaining batter – add green coloring, mix well, and spread into another pan.
- Spread remaining uncolored batter into the 3rd pan.
- Bake all the pans for 10-12 minutes or until the center looks dry. Remove pans, turn cake out, remove the paper, and turn cakes right side up and allow to cool completely.
- Spread raspberry jam on the green later and top with a yellow layer. Spread apricot preserves on the yellow layer and top with pink layer.
- Cover cakes with plastic wrap. Top with a heavy cutting board or pan to weigh it down. Refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, set a double boiler and melt chocolate over hot water.
- Spread melted chocolate over the top layer only. Trim edges with a sharp knife. Let chocolate dry slightly. Cut cake crosswise into 24 (1 ½” wide) strips. Cut each strip into 4 pieces.
At FLIK Hospitality Group we believe in great food, great service, and great people. Our wellness first approach ensures our food supports healthy and delicious choices, specially curated by our team of culinary experts and registered dietitians. At FLIK, we believe in seasonality in sourcing our ingredients and providing a customized approach to the culinary and hospitality needs of each client. Our dedication to providing quality hospitality service is unparalleled in the industry.
Have feedback or questions for our team? Email us at email@example.com.
Interested in working with us? Apply today!