They Say You Want (r)Evolution
As a way to bring together over 750 mangers, chefs, and executives throughout the FLIK Hospitality Group organization, we host an day-long FLIK Expo to discuss the latest trends in the hospitality world, introduce culinary innovations, hear from senior leaders and guest speakers, and network with the greater organization.
The expo has been a part of FLIK’s culture for more than 25 years. It’s a day of celebration, innovation, leadership, and learning.
This year’s theme: Evolution.
Check out some of the highlights from this year’s event below.
Coffee Chat with Rick Post, COO, Compass Group & Paula Schaire, VP Marketing & Design, FLIK Hospitality
- FLIK’s Paula Schaire sat down with Compass’ Rick Post to discuss his own personal career evolution, the evolution of Compass Group and FLIK Hospitality Group, and the future of food services.
- After a quick rapid fire ice breaker session, where we learned that Rick Post is Team Pink Floyd (over Rolling Stones), Team Godfather Part II (but Part I is good too), pro-Netflix (sorry, Hulu), and thinks Marketing is more important than Culinary (the Chef’s didn’t love that answer, but the marketing team certainly did!).
- Rick and Paula discussed the role of technology in the food environment saying, “If you look at the competitive market, you see a lot of start-ups, especially on the technology side. They have the technology, luckily, they just don’t have the food aspect down right. We’ve got that covered. If there’s a start-up out there, embrace them, don’t fight them. Welcome them with open arms and bring them closer. You don’t want enemies when it comes to innovation. There’s enough room in our industry for everyone.”
- Fun fact: Rick joined Compass Group in 1997, assuming the presidency of FLIK International (now, FLIK Hospitality Group).
Positive Post-It Notes
FLIK is built upon the foundation of great food, great service, and great people.
As a way to celebrate our great people, we encouraged all of our attendees to fill out notes of affirmation, sharing what they’re HOPEFUL and GRATEFUL for. These notes of affirmation are a simple way to share positive thoughts, reflect on the past and the future.
These small notes of kindness are a testament to our culture and really show what we’re thankful for as individuals and as an organization.
All About Guest Speakers
- In addition to hearing from the senior leadership at FLIK, we also had guest speakers address the room.
- Celebrity Chef Jet Tila joined us to discuss his own personal career evolution in the culinary world. You may recognize Chef Jet from his numerous appearances on the Food Network, including Iron Chef America, and in this month's issue of Rachael Ray Every Day.
- He explained the importance of being hospitable, having mentors, and always taking the opportunity to learn.
- He even played a little culinary game with the team called, Eat Like a Pro. No more excuses when noshing on sushi, Thai or dim sum!
- Jamie Friedman, Director of Consumer Insights, Foodservice at PepsiCo discuss industry trends and how advancements in technology and communication impact our workplace – and how companies, like FLIK and Pepsi interact with those consumers.
Come on, Vogue!
We launched our new culinary uniforms, in partnership with Chef Works, in the most creative way we thought possible – via fashion show, of course! Our team members channeled their inner Tyra Banks (or RuPaul) and strutted their stuff on the catwalk.
- The Expo doors opened at 7:15 am – which meant breakfast and coffee was a must! The chefs treated us to wonderful breakfast innovations including Breakfast Empanadas (filled with spinach, sweet potato, and mushrooms or scrambled eggs and chorizo), Breakfast Stuffed Spuds, Shakshuka, and Tartines, among other treats!
- For our snack break, we enjoyed Seed Energy Bites, Blackberry Cardamom Basil Seed Pudding, and Granola Seed Clusters.
- We also launched our new fleet of food trucks! The Smokd BBQ truck hit the road earlier last year, keep your eyes peeled for the launch of Eathos By FLIK and Guacamobile by FLIK, our Mediterranean and Mexican food trucks.
- Following the day of speakers, the café was transformed into a vendor salon and FLIK food hall. The FLIK team noshed on ramen, Korean fried chicken, fusion bao buns, and networked with our wonderful partners.
Special shout out to our entire culinary team who brought their A-game! They were up super early to deliver us all delicious treats, sustained us with nutritious snacks that energized us all.
What We Were Talking About in 2018: Red Rice Blend with Bacon
At FLIK Hospitality Group we believe in great food, great service, and great people. Our wellness first approach ensures our food supports healthy and delicious choices, specially curated by our team of culinary experts and registered dietitians. At FLIK, we believe in seasonality in sourcing our ingredients and providing a customized approach to the culinary and hospitality needs of each client. Our dedication to providing quality hospitality service is unparalleled in the industry.
Have feedback or questions for our team? Email us at email@example.com.
Interested in working with us? Apply today!