Devour the Competition: Chicken with mumbo sauce
Devour the Competition is an initiative created by the FLIK Hospitality staff to help the players prepare for the game through delicious food. The chefs prepare a meal during the week of the game that is inspired by the Eagles’ opponent.
As the Eagles host Washington today for the first game of the season, they will enjoy chicken with mumbo sauce served with a side of french fries. Mumbo sauce was developed in Washington, D.C. and popularized in the city’s takeout restaurants. The red-orange sauce is similar to a barbecue or plum sauce, but is also sweet and tangy. It is known for being put on fried chicken wings, french fries, fried jumbo shrimp, and fried rice.
- 4 pounds chicken wings
- 1/2 cup kosher salt
- 1/4 cup ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup granulated onion
- 1/4 cup granulated garlic
- 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 2/3 cup ketchup
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons freshly grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Straight-cut french fries
1. Rinse and dry chicken wings and toss with a mixture of salt, pepper, granulated onion, and granulated garlic.
2. Let seasoned wings marinate for 4 hours up to overnight.
1. Place tomato paste, ketchup, and sugar in a saucepan. Pour in pineapple juice, white vinegar, lemon juice, and honey into the pan.
2. Add soy sauce, grated ginger, and cayenne pepper.
3. Whisk together thoroughly. Place pan over medium-high heat.
4. As soon as the mixture starts to bubble, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, whisking occasionally, until mixture has thickened slightly, about 10 minutes.
5. Remove pan from heat, allow to cool about 10 minutes or so.
6. Pour sauce through a fine strainer to eliminate solids. Keep sauce hot.
1. Heat deep fryer to 350 F. Bake chicken wings at 325 F for 45 minutes to render off fat.
2. Slightly cool and then place in the deep fryer in batches until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 F and wings are crispy.
3. Toss wings in mumbo sauce and serve aside french fries.
This article first appeared on PhiladelphiaEagles.com.
At FLIK Hospitality Group we believe in great food, great service, and great people. Our wellness first approach ensures our food supports healthy and delicious choices, specially curated by our team of culinary experts and registered dietitians. At FLIK, we believe in seasonality in sourcing our ingredients and providing a customized approach to the culinary and hospitality needs of each client. Our dedication to providing quality hospitality service is unparalleled in the industry.
Have feedback or questions for our team? Email us at email@example.com.
Interested in working with us? Apply today!