Congratulations, Chef Cory!
Chef Cory Tomiano competed in the Zero Waste Challenge at Brooklyn Navy Yards this week as a stellar way to end the NYC Food Waste Fair. From soup kitchen cooks to Michelin star chefs, the Zero Waste Challenge brought together some of New York City’s most creative culinary leaders in an opportunity to compete for the best upcycled, zero food waste recipes.
Cory and his culinary team (Dahlia, Tyler and Jeff) prepared a delicious Gochujang Hanger Steak & Vegetable Stem Tacos with Rainbow Chard Stem Kimchi, which ended up winning first place in the Popular Vote. Guests were able to taste each of the 8 chef-prepared dishes and text in a code to vote for their favorite dishes.
Cory was up against steep competition including:
- Michael Anthony, Gramercy Tavern: Ricotta Tart with Lemon Confit
- Garrison Price, Cafe Clover: Cashew & Almond Milk Panna Cotta with Caramelized Honey Syrup
- Kristyn Brewer & Claire Sprouse, Hunky Dory: Citrus Onion Dip & Sweet Potato Chips with Punch
- Naama Tamir, Lighthouse: Skin-and-Stem Vegetable Poofs with Herb Labneh & Pecorino Pesto
- Suzanne Cupps & Amy Ho, Untitled: Spring Grilled Cabbage with King Trumpet Mushrooms & Spring Onion Ginger Sauce
- Kendall Scodari, Made Nice: Cauliflower 'Bone Marrow' with Beet Tartare & Cauliflower Leaf Salad
- Lynn Loflin, Tim Mercardo, Michael Mangieri, Lenox Hill Neighborhood House: Fruit Infused French Toast with Spiced Apple Butter Compote
The event was co-hosted by the feedfeed. All dishes were judged not only by the event's attendees, but also by a panel of judges including Stacy Carroll, James Beard Foundation, Jackie Gebel, Morton Salt, Matt Jozwiak, Rethink Food NYC, Adam Kaye, The Spare Food Co., and Alison Roman, Author of Dining In & Bon Appetit Magazine and New York Times Cooking.
Cory was supported by his fellow team members in the New York region, and friends and family at the event.
What We Were Talking About in 2018: Turkey Rachel Sweet Potato Sandwich
At FLIK Hospitality Group we believe in great food, great service, and great people. Our wellness first approach ensures our food supports healthy and delicious choices, specially curated by our team of culinary experts and registered dietitians. At FLIK, we believe in seasonality in sourcing our ingredients and providing a customized approach to the culinary and hospitality needs of each client. Our dedication to providing quality hospitality service is unparalleled in the industry.
Have feedback or questions for our team? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interested in working with us? Apply today!